Thursday, December 9, 2010

Sushi, and Popcorn, and {almost} CHRISTMAS.. OH MY!



Not our usual post, but alas.. we still have things to blog about! KK & I were going to venture out and try our hands at sushi making, but after KK took one look at the ingredients, the set up on the counter for making the sushi and smelled the kitchen, she chose that wasn't for her {which turned out good, since I had NO idea what I was doing or if it would be difficult or not}.

I made California Rolls with real crab & Philadelphia Rolls.. happily, all my ingredients were organic, and my crab was sustainably caught.. those things mean a lot to me, and I always feel much happier knowing where my food is from. KK didn't realize until AFTER sushi that she'd eaten seafood.. I should've asked before dinner if she knew, I didn't. Mid-meal she sort of caught on. She wasn't as devastated as she could have been... she says, "No more meat tomorrow!" {which brings up, she'll be with her Grandmother this weekend.. I should provide vegetarian dinner options so there isn't a repeat of Thanksgiving where she wouldn't eat turkey}.


We also received our Whirley Pop from my Uncle & Auntie today! Over Thanksgiving, while chatting over food likes, dislikes, preferences, etc.. popcorn was brought up. My uncle graciously said he would purchase a Whirley Pop for us! Just... WOW! WE LOVE THAT THING! What a simple little invention, that is so fun & easy to use. It came in a huge box, which KK sat on her lap all the way to Grandma's house.. then all the way to the store, and finally.. hours later mind you.. home. She refused help to carry the box inside, hauled it in, and opened to find the box perfectly wrapped with green ribbons. This evening we made popcorn for snack, Xander was too scared to turn the handle for fear of getting oil somehow spilled on him from the covered pan.. but KK stepped up and had no fear {earlier this week she had shown me with pride, her [very] small little scars from cooking incidents}. They thoroughly enjoyed the Whirley Pop!



Lastly, I just want to mention how wonderful it was to see my brother and his family today. I didn't realize just how much I missed him until I was able to give him a huge big hug today. Being with everyone was a great feeling, and the kids didn't even act like it had been forever since they last saw him.. it was as if we'd seen them only a few days ago the way they picked up talking to him. Here's to hoping he's closer sooner to family again, than later. And very lastly... my baby sister made a variety of Christmas cookies this year.. it was like stepping back into my childhood years when my grandma and mom would make the same cookies every year... they tasted just same as grandma and mom's did. Hope she enjoys making them for the next few decades for me! I'm including a recipe for these delicious cookies! Enjoy!

xoxo,
Brooke


Russian Tea Cookie Ingredients


1 cup butter or margarine, softened
1/2 cup powdered sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla
2 1/4 flour
3/4 cup finely chopped nuts
1/4 teaspoon salt

Powdered sugar
  1. Heat oven to 400ºF.
  2. Mix butter, 1/2 cup powdered sugar and the vanilla in large bowl. Stir in flour, nuts and salt until dough holds together.
  3. Shape dough into 1-inch balls. Place about 1 inch apart on ungreased cookie sheet.
  4. Bake 10 to 12 minutes or until set but not brown. Remove from cookie sheet. Cool slightly on wire rack.
  5. Roll warm cookies in powdered sugar; cool on wire rack. Roll in powdered sugar again
source: Betty Crocker Russian Tea Cookie's Recipe

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...